Skype for Business/Lync Server with Exchange Online for UM – Attempts to route to servers in an Exchange UM Dialplan failed

Hello Readers

I have been working on a issue with a customer where they would randomly receive “Missed Call Notifications” from themselves and if you look at the Front End Server Event Logs you would get the following error.

 

Attempts to route to servers in an Exchange UM Dialplan failed

No server in the dialplan [Hosted_exap.um.outlook.com_<tenantname>.onmicrosoft.com] accepted the call with id <identification>

Cause: Dialplan is not configured properly.

Resolution

Check the configuration of the dialplan on Exchange UM Servers.

SNAGHTML147b6d6

 

When investigating this issue I could that Voicemail was working into the customer office365 tenant and the error was intermittent. I was unable to replicate the error from any test calls that was made to the users UM Mailbox, all the configuration the Lync Server was correct the only differences from the on-premises deployment and Office365 tenant was that the name of the UM Dialplan was  different to the identity of the HostingProvider.

 

Exchange Online

image

Lync Server Get-CsHostingProvider

image

 

The resolution for this issue in my case to move all the UM Enabled Users from “UM Dial Plan” to a new dialplan called “CloudUM”

I did this by doing the following actions

Type Connect-MsolService –> Press Enter –> Enter <Login credentials that have rights to Exchange Online>

Capture1

Type Import-Module MSOnline –> Press Enter

Capture2

Type $cred=get-credential –> Press Enter –> Enter <Login credentials that have rights to Exchange Online>

Capture3

You can now copy and paste the following command

$Sess = New-PSSession -ConfigurationName Microsoft.Exchange -ConnectionUri https://ps.outlook.com/powershell/ -Credential $Cred -Authentication Basic -AllowRedirection
Import-PSSession $Sess -AllowClobber

Capture4

The next steps I took was to export all user information for those who was enabled for UM.

Get-UMMailbox | export-csv C:\Office365\export.csv

With this information I could successfully disable for all UM enabled users and only re-enable all the users that had UM before the change.

 

To disable UM for all enabled users

Import-Csv C:\office365\export.csv | foreach {Disable-UMMailbox -id $_.primarysmtpaddress -confirm:$false}

To enable UM for all enabled users

Import-Csv C:\office365\export.csv | foreach {Enable-UMMailbox -id $_.primarysmtpaddress -Extensions $_.extensions -UMMailboxPolicy “CloudUM”}

 

Performing this task resolved the issue the customer was experiencing. Thank you to Adam Hand for his assistance in troubleshooting this fault

 

Regards

Andrew J. Price

MVP_Logo_Horizontal_Preferred_Cyan300_CMYK_72ppi

1 thought on “Skype for Business/Lync Server with Exchange Online for UM – Attempts to route to servers in an Exchange UM Dialplan failed”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *